Mar 10, 2009

A. W. Tozer

Lately,

I have been reading the Pursuit of God by A. W. Tozer. I read this in high school and loved it. As I have been going back through it, I have been challenged with my view of God. So often I fall into the trap of being the center of my world and life is all about me. Well clearly I know it is not, however what I know and how I act are not the same. I truly want to become so small and Christ to become so large in my life. I have been reflecting on this prayer at the end of Chapter 8 in Tozer's book:
O God, be Thou exalted over my possessions. Nothing of earth's treasures shall seem dear unto me if only Thou art glorified in my life. Be Thou exalted over my friendships. I am determined that Thou shalt be above all, though I must stand deserted and alone in the midst of the earth. Be Thou exalted above my comforts. Though it mean the loss of bodily comforts and the carrying of heavy crosses, I shall keep my vow made this day before Thee. Be Thou exalted over my reputation. Make me ambitious to please Thee even if as a result I must sink into obsurity and my name be forgotten as a dream. Rise, O Lord into Thy proper place of honor, above my ambitions, above my likes and dislikes, above my family, above myhealth and even life itself. Let me sink that Thou mayest rise above.

1 comment:

Fields of gold said...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing that powerful prayer Jo! You exemplify our BIG God so much in your life.